North Western Railway ticket from Rawalpindi to Amritsar, dated 17 September 1947.
The NWR was formed in January 1886 from the merger of Sindh, Punjab, and Delhi railway, the Indus Valley State Railway, the Punjab Northern State Railway, the eastern section of the Sind-Sagar Railway and the southern section of the Sind-Pishin State Railway.
By 1905, the NWP was the longest railway under one administration and the most strategic railway of the north-west frontier. In 1947, one part became the nucleus of Pakistan's railways, with 4976 of the old system's 6861 miles lying within the new state; the part lying in India was reorganised and renamed as Eastern Punjab Railway.
Photo courtesy of Vintage Pakistan.